Sunday, February 17, 2008

Metta...

Last night I went over to my mother's house and did some scrapbooking. My younger sister was there as well and I organized all of my materials.

Then i came home and got ready to go out with some friends.

:)

I showed up approx 20 minutes earlier than my friends, and quite contentedly sat alone at a table and watched some of the highlights from the "All Star Slam Dunk Contest" on TSN.

My friends showed up and the dancing began.

I wasn't drinking, but my friends all were.

It was a good night. I was mindful and enjoyed the time i was there. I even got to practise some "metta."

Metta (pali) translates into "loving kindness, a friendly attitude".

While i was in the washroom i heard a girl lavishly bragging to her friends about a half marathon she had run. As I left the stall I had been in, I saw the young girl and was immediately impressed she had run a half. She was in good shape, but seemed so young.

I can remember feeling compassion for her need to brag, and yet still happy for her. In my mind I wished her happiness and the ability to continue running.

This is a huge breakthrough in terms of my learning about Buddhism.

:)

No comments: