Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"old" school vs "older" school...

My mom is "old school".

Years ago I lived in Digby and my TV got broken. (Long story).

My mom was horrified. I told her that it had happened the week before and it was actually kind of nice not having a TV blaring away all day long. However, she couldn't imagine her grandkids without a TV, so she packed up one of her two TV's and drove the 4 hrs to bring it to me.

:)

For the last year, we haven't had cable. And honestly, I don't miss it (much)...

I somewhat miss Survivorman, CSI, House, Rick Mercer, and Survivor.

But we have a Fantastic DVD collection, and the kids play "cardboard" games and do puzzles.

We go swimming at the YMCA and hiking. We are busy without the cable but my mom STILL thinks my kids need it.

How will they know what are the cool Christmas toys this year? What about the Christmas shows they'll miss?

Do I want cable? Sometimes I do.

And her nagging on me about it makes me want it all the more....

a guilty pleasure...

But then I remember my "older school" beliefs, that kids should not be infront of a TV when they could be outside building something or inside reading something.

My kids get enough TV time with our DVD collection. Avatar, Harry Potter, Spongebob, Spirited Away, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and the Last Unicorn....

Just the other day, I put my "White Christmas" DVD on. The one with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I wanted to listen to the music while I scrubbed the floors and did the dishes.

The house was quiet except for the sounds coming from the movie. I was in the kitchen for 15 minutes or so and then I became unnerved. The house was "quiet".... it is rarely quiet. I went into the livingroom where all 4 of my kids were spread out around the livingroom intently watching.

Imagine, all 4 watching "White Christmas"..... the singing, the dancing...

(sigh)....

:)

Even though I grew up on cable... and I turned out just fine...

:)

... for some reason I don't want my kids to know every Leons Christmas Sales pitch from 1987 to 1996...

And sure it was cute, growing up, when my mom would come in my room in the morning and say "Time to make the donuts."

good times... good times...

I guess it is still up in the air...

will I or won't I?

1 comment:

Mama S said...

Deb, we haven't had cable for a year and a half now, and it's GREAT! (although hubby and I do download the occasional t.v. program to watch...) I don't feel like my kids are deprived ONE bit!!! We have complete control over what they watch, and I love the fact that they don't see fast-food commercials or all the toy marketing this time of year. We borrow videos from the library all the time.

I grew up on more than my fair share of television, but I honestly think that kids are probably better off without it.... :)